Monday, March 23, 2009

Yet another 'itis' for me

It seems that the cause of my arm infection (which had a name -- it was cellulitis) has been discovered.

And the reason is another 'itis'. Bursitis.

Apparently, I somehow injured the bursa sac in my elbow and this is what likely let the infection in. (A bursa sac, for those who don't know (because I didn't) is a fluid-filled sac that cushion pressure points between your bones and the tendons and muscles near your joints. They help your joints move with ease.)

Now that the infection has finally cleared, this conclusion was drawn by the doctor because the pain still lingers in my elbow. It still hurts to the touch, it hurts to lay down on a table or even a couch arm rest and it hurts to pick up anything heavy -- like my daughter.

Unfortunately, the cure for bursitis is resting the injured area, anti-inflamatory drugs and time. Well the drugs I have, the time I have but resting my arm when I'm home with two kids all day is easier said then done.

So I'm making do. I carry Alex around in my right arm all the time now; which is awkward because I've always carried her in my left. This has led to a bit of juggling at times because I'm so used to carrying kids in my left arm. For example, I can't tell you how many times I've put my keys in my pocket, picked Alex up in my right arm, walked to the car and discovered that my keys are actually in my right pocket (because I use to always have my right arm free). So now, I'm trying to balance her without putting her full weight on my left arm while at the same time, reach for my keys.

At least I can do everything with two arms again when I need to -- like push the stroller, drive the car and make lunches.

I just hope that this all gets better soon. I'm getting a little tired of always having an 'itis'.

No comments: