Monday, October 05, 2009

This afternoon's not-so-fun activity

I'm so not looking forward to this afternoon. Because for the first time in my life, I'm going to the dentist to have some cavities filled.

Yup. First time.

And my dentist figured it would be so much fun that she's going to do it again on Wednesday morning.

Last month, when I went for my regular twice-annual checkup and cleaning, my dentist found not one, not two but five freakin' cavities in my mouth. So, I've gone from having absolutely no cavities and perfect teeth for the last 30 some-0dd years to suddenly having five cavities at the same time.

How did this happen, you ask? Well, my dentist explained that it was likely a combination of a few factors. The first thing to note is they're very, very small cavities. So small in fact, that I do not know they're there, I do not feel any pain and they are only visible on an x-ray.

Which is how they were found. They may have even been found earlier -- or some of them anyway -- had it not been almost three years since I had dental X-rays (damn being pregnant and then extra-cautious because I was breast feeding, then pregnant, then extra cautious because I was breast feeding for the last three years).

And the vicious cycle of the last three years, is exactly how my dentist said I likely developed them after not having had any for the first 30 years of my life. She said she's seen it in many moms who once had perfect teeth. Their lives just get so busy and change so drastically, that taking care of themselves, and their teeth, is one of the farthest thing from their mind.

And let's face it, she's right. After having a baby and not sleeping for months on end, when you finally start getting your life back in order, the only thing on your mind is figuring out how to get your body from looking like it had a baby. The "oh yeah, I'm supposed to floss daily" routine doesn't necessarily leap to mind. Instead it's the "let's just try to remember to brush my teeth after I've finished snacking for the evening, because goodness knows this breast feeding business leaves me starving 24 hours a day".

So off to the dentist I go. And then again on Wednesday morning. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm not scared of it either. I had a root canal once, years ago -- it can't be any worse than that. But is it sad that by knowing I have two dentist appoitments this week, I know that I get two outings out with the kids?

No comments: