Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's official -- I CAN bake

After writing last week about my new-found enjoyment of baking and my strange urge to bake a pumpkin pie, a friend of mine e-mailed me her mom's pie recipe and instructions on how to cook fresh pumpkin.

So, as soon as Halloween was over -- and before I could change my mind or chicken out -- I carved up our spooky pumpkin, cooked it up and pureed the heck out of it. I now have enough pureed pumpkin in my freezer to bake about 5 pies (or other pumpkin treats).

But there was enough for 6 pies. That's right, I baked one for dinner on Saturday. Not only am I crazy enough to follow through with this strange urge, but I did so with the intention of serving it to my inlaws after dinner.

The whole time the pie was baking, Ryan kept joking to his mom that he doesn't know what has come over his wife lately -- me, the woman whose only adventures in baking for the 11 years he's known me has been to open a mix; or better yet, to buy pre-baked goods at the store.

To be honest, I used a frozen pie crust. But to be completely honest, the recipe stated to use a "9-inch frozen pie crust", so really, I did it myself and followed the recipe to a T.

And it came out great. My mother-in-law said so and my husband said so. Although the insecure me knew that they could have been saying that to be polite. But when Austin told me it was good and asked for more, I knew it had to be good.

After all, a two-year-old doesn't know how to lie just to be polite.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Even my grandma always used the Tender Crust frozen shells. In fact, the only person I know who actually makes her own crust is CĂ©line. I think that might have more to do with the availability of frozen pie crusts in the third world than actual preference though.

Vone said...

My mom has a good pie crust recipe too if your interested ever :)
I got my mom to make a batch and freeze them for me last time she was here so I don't make them either.