Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mmmm......bacon and eggs

Breakfast has to be my favourite meal of the day. And I don’t mean the kind of breakfast I eat every weekday morning before work, and many weekend mornings, of a bowl full of Raisin Bran (or Cheerios) topped off with a cup of milk.

I mean real breakfast – bacon and eggs, hash browns, omelettes, waffles or pancakes.

And when I say breakfast is my favourite meal, I mean the concept of breakfast, not the hour one normally eats breakfast.

And that’s why, sometimes the most comforting food in the world, and the tastiest, is breakfast for dinner. Bacon and eggs just tastes better at 6:30 on a Thursday night after a long day (or week) of work, than it does at 10 a.m. (or noon, as the case may be) on a Sunday morning.

I don’t know why that is. Maybe because it’s so easy to make – less than 15 minutes after starting dinner, you’re sitting down and eating it. Years ago, when Ryan worked in Niagara Falls and ‘lived’ there three days a week, my dinner menu would include an omelette once a week. Cooking for one has never been fun for me, and an omelette for one was fast, easy and tasty. It was always omelettes – waffles or pancakes would have been too much work, and this was before the day when I suddenly started eating, and enjoying, bacon.

Maybe I like breakfast for dinner so much because ever since those Niagara years, it’s something we almost never think to do for dinner.

Or maybe it’s just because it tastes good.

Whatever it is, when at 11 p.m. last night, Ryan went downstairs to the freezer, grabbed a package of bacon and said ‘we should do bacon and eggs for dinner tomorrow night’ I immediately started looking forward to the meal.

So come 6:30 tonight, I’m feasting on sunny-side up eggs, bacon and toast with jam, and I’m going to love every bite.

2 comments:

Vone said...

mmm - that does sound good.

growing up we used to have breakfast for dinner every once in a while but haven't done it since.

Sara said...

Well? Was it as good as you imagined?