Thursday, March 13, 2008

Next time, don't bother being responsible

A few months ago, we accidentally backed into another car in a parking lot. There was no damage to our car but damage to the other car. No one saw the accident. But we took the high road and took responsibility for the actions -- waiting for the other driver to return so we could own up to our actions.

The guy was apparently very nice about the whole thing and, although we paid him for the damages, he appeared to try his best to keep the costs down.

I tell this story, because we didn't have to do all that. We could've just driven away and that would've been that. But then it becomes one of those karma things -- what goes around comes around and all that.

Except today. Like many days, I had parallel parked in the driveway of our staff parking lot because by the time I got in in the morning, all the spaces were gone. (With all the snow this winter, we've lost 8 to 10 spots in the parking lot because there's no where to pile it. It's a pain because it's a small lot to begin with so even on days when I arrive at 8:45 a.m. (like I did today) there's still nowhere to park.) So I joined the queue of cars already parked in the driveway, pushing up against the fence as much as I could. The only other choice is street parking. But it's only one-hour parking and the ticket guys come around at least three times a day.

So at 7 p.m., when I went back to my car, I found my driver side mirror lying on the ground. No note, no nothing. I cursed under my breath and threw it in the backseat.

I'll report it on Monday when I'm back in the office, but it's unlikely to do any good. It could've been another staff member, it could've been a visitor, it could've been the courier truck. In other words, it could've been anyone -- anyone who chose not to take the high road and stick around.

So now, I'm out a few hundred dollars, at least, to fix my mirror. So much for karma.

2 comments:

Adam said...

You guys did the right thing. Travelling around a bit, I've realized that it's the people like you that make Canada the place it is. I won't say that developing countries don't have other problems, but the culture that asshats, like the guy that took off your mirror, are the people that get ahead is definitely one of the reasons the developing world doesn't seem to be getting better.

Don't let the bastards dictate what you want your world to look like.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your mirror, Deb, but at least you know that your karma is in good shape!