Monday, July 27, 2009

It's a jungle out there

So, nine weeks after planting those minuscule tomato, cucumber, zucchini, pepper and onion plants; my garden looks like this:
It's simply a jungle of vegetables growing one on top of each other. (And this photo was actually taken two weeks ago -- it's even more jungle-like now) Maybe I should've read the directions a little closer on how far apart each plant is supposed to be. Because, in one corner, we have the grape tomato plants which are very quickly overtaking everything around it. And in the other corner, we have the massive zucchini plant that has completely choked out the peas and is threatening to bury the raspberry bush. And sadly, it has yet to produce a single zucchini.

But I don't care how overgrown it is -- it's pretty damn cool to see vegetables growing in your backyard!

Almost every morning, as I open the blinds in the bedrooms, I'm curious to see how much the plants have grown overnight. And almost every day, Austin asks me, "how are our vegetables doing today?".

We've already picked two vegetables -- a jalapeno pepper and a cucumber -- and hopefully soon, we'll be picking tomatoes. Lots and lots and lots (and did I say lots) of tomatoes. I see salsa and spaghetti sauce in my future!

No comments: