Friday, February 24, 2012

How to screw up a cake

So it's Austin's birthday today (6 years old!) and last night I was baking cakes. He needs a cake for his party on Saturday and cake for this evening as well. Because you can't have a birthday without cake!

So, first I made a simple 9x13 chocolate cake from a cake mix. This is the cake that I'm going to decorate tonight for his party.

Then, rather than making another cake mix for just the four of us tonight, I figured I'd make cupcakes. And, rather than using a cake mix, which makes 24 cupcakes when I only needed 4 or so -- I decided to make cupcakes from scratch. I had this really easy recipe that I made last month and they were delicious. And, the bonus is it only makes 12 cupcakes.

So here's what happened:

Step 1: Start making cupcakes from scratch at 9 p.m. after first making the sheet cake for Saturday's party.
Step 2: Make cupcakes and put them in the oven.
Step 3: Run to grocery store while cupcakes are still in oven to get more ingredients for icing (good thing the grocery store is practically across the street.)
Step 4: Remove cupcakes from oven and discover that they don't look right. (They appear to not have risen.)
Step 5: Get all defensive when Ryan says I forgot the baking powder. (I didn't.)
Step 6: Stand by while Ryan taste's one -- hey they may look bad but we thought maybe they could still be salvaged with a lot of icing.
Step 7: Realize they taste like crap.
Step 8: Throw cupcakes across room the room when (now at 9:45 p.m.) I realize the reason they taste like crap is that I forgot to add the sugar.

Yup, sugar.

I managed to make sugar-free cupcakes. Don't try it. They taste awful.

Oh yeah, so step 9 was 'be thankful there was an extra cake mix box in the cupboard and start making yet another batch at 10 p.m. all the while wondering why I just didn't do that in the first place.'

No comments: