Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Mickey Mouse birthday

This past weekend was Alex's birthday, and once again I created a cake for her.

Or actually, cupcakes.

Deciding what to do this year was difficult. The idea for Mickey cupcakes was actually tossed around a few months ago and then forgotten about. So as her birthday was approaching, I fretted about what to do. Having been sick for much of the week and a half before her party, the idea of doing a big cake was daunting. Yet, the only thing I could think of was to create a Belle cake (from Beauty and the Beast) because she recently developed an obsession with her.

So two days before her birthday, at 7:30 p.m., I headed over toBulk arn to see if I could get a cake pan and Barbie torso to make a Belle cake. And while I'm standing there in the store, I realize that I could do Mickey Mouse cupcakes instead. Afterall, she may be obssessed with Belle right now, but she LOVES Mickey. No characters in the world are better than Mickey and Minnie.

So now I'm standing in the store with an idea, and no idea how to go about making them. So I called Ryan and he Googled it. And together we came up with a great idea:
This website was what came up when Ryan Googled 'Mickey cupcakes' and they were really easy to make. All I had to do was ice the cupcake, dip it in Oreo cookie crumbs until all of the icing was covered and then using toothpicks, I stuck on two Oreo cookies for ears. Finally, to top it off, I added two little white dots (I used labelling stickers, but you could use chads from a hole punch too) to the front of the cupcake liner.

Ta da. Mickey Mouse cupcakes.

But why, do you ask, does that picture have one Mickey and one that looks like it could be Minnie without a bow? Because, at first, I made chocolate cupcakes in plain white liners. You see, Alex wanted chocolate cake, of course. I figured, after they were baked, I could slip the red liner on top to make the Mickey cupcakes.

It was a great plan, except for one small problem. The red liners were bigger than the white ones I had used to make the cupcakes. Oops.

So I had to make another batch of cupcakes -- this time using white cake in the red liners. But since Alex really wanted chocolate cake, I slipped a polka dot liner (which thankfully fit) on half a dozen of the chocolate ones to create Minnie cupcakes.

Which meant, on birthday party day, Alex just wanted one of each. And what the birthday girl wants, the birthday girl gets.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Great team work, Deb and Ryan!

Shell said...

those are super cute!