Saturday, October 14, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas


What happened to Halloween? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Halloween is still on October 31, and today is only October 14, right? By my math, that means Halloween is still more than half a month away. And by extension then, Christmas is more than two and a half months away.

If there's two and a half months to go until Christmas, then why are stores stringing up decorations and hawking everything from wrapping paper to snow globes at us? This mentality of sell, sell, sell is going just a little bit too far. It may have snowed on Thursday in some parts of the province, but that does not mean I, or anyone else I know, want to be making a list and checking it twice quite yet. But there I was in Sears this afternoon walking through displays of Christmas decorations, crates of wrapping paper and shelves of wind-up snow globes playing Silver Bells.

I'm not trying to be scrooge. I love Christmas. And my love for it drives Ryan crazy every year when I start playing Christmas music and putting up decorations around December 1. But October 14! I think I'll worry about getting a Halloween costume before I think about Christmas.

No comments: