Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Pain relief that actually works

For years I’ve benefited from this drug’s ability to cure a hangover in 30 minutes or less. For those who don’t know, it’s a little tip a friend taught us – after a night of a “little too much”, pop one or two of those, head back to bed and when you wake up again, you’ll feel more or less fine.

But last night, for the first time that I can remember, I discovered that these little white pills actually do work for their intended purpose as well – migraine relief.

Yesterday’s heavy, thunderstorm-thick air was, for me anyway, the perfect recipe to induce a migraine. I was ok at work, not great but ok, but as soon as I stepped outside at 5:30 I felt like I had been hit over the head with a bag of bricks. Almost instantly, my eyes had trouble seeing, and soon enough, my face had trouble forming any type of expression. By the time I got home 30 minutes later, I was a mess.

But pop just one of those little white pills, and I felt functional. I won’t say I felt great, just good enough to function for another few hours before passing out soon after Austin went to bed.

If I’d taken two, I’d probably have felt even better, but it’s a fine line I must walk when I take those little white pills – whether for migraines or for hangovers. They contain Aspirin, and too much Aspirin, gives me an asthma attack. One seems to be just enough to keep the head pain and the difficulty breathing at bay.

Luckily, I don’t get migraines often – in fact I don’t think I’ve had one since Austin was born, must be a hormonal change thing – because it’s such a shame that the only way to get Excedrin Migraine is to buy it in the U.S. In Canada, over-the-counter migraine drugs don't even come close.

5 comments:

Sera said...

You still have some? I'm so jealous - I ran out about 2 motnhs ago!

Vone said...

I'm going to the states in May - I can take orders :)

Rob said...

Great, now my wife is a drug trafficker.

Deb said...

I opened a brand new box on Monday bought the last time I was in the States! That means I have 98 pills left! So I think I'm good.

Mike said...

Thats nothing I just finished some of the liquid morphine I got from my back op. I can get extremely strong pain killers here in England, codine, 500mg this and that I will be home soon and have no problems bringing too much by accident :) Only problem is that the morphine is all gone and that you cannot buy in the shop :(