Monday, April 27, 2009

First day on the new job went sort of as planned

Today was supposed to be the day I went back to work. April 27 -- a day I've had in the back of my mind for months and weeks. A day I'd been dreading, just a little bit.

So, since I wasn't going back to work afterall -- and today I'm officially unemployed (because for last two weeks I've been on vacation to close out my 2008 vacation time), I decided that we would do something different today, something we hadn't done all year and something I had meant to do with the kids but never got around to. And then, in the evening, once the kids were in bed, I figured I'd have a glass of wine and toast my first day on my new job.

Then, this morning, I got up with the kids, ate breakfast with the kids, cleaned up from breakfast with the kids and then threw up my breakfast. I had the stomach flu. And I know it's the stomach flu because Ryan had it yesterday (sorry to anyone who saw us on the weekend).

This damn virus must be a sign that I made the right decision -- because if I was going back to work today, I never would've made it in. Imagine calling in sick on your first day of work.

So, determined to make the most of the beautiful weather and my need to not be anywhere specific today -- I still dragged my ass out with the kids and did what I promised them we would do today -- we went to Riverdale Farm to see the animals.

I figured as long as I didn't eat or drink anything, I'd be fine. And I was, although it took a hell of a lot of energy just to walk around for an hour and a half. But the kids loved it and it was a gorgeous day.

I managed to get them to both nap at the same time for two hours this afternoon so that I could sleep and I asked Ryan to come home from work early so that he could take over for me when they woke up and I could lie in bed and feel sorry for myself.

Now the kids are in bed, but I think I'll save the glass of wine for another day. I think instead, I'll stick to trying to drink water.

No comments: