Monday, April 13, 2009

The irony of it all

Remember when I ranted about whether to be a stay-at-home mom or to go back to work? I wrote about it. I talked to past and present stay-at-home moms I know. I successfully managed to create good arguments on why I should stay home and why I should go back to work. I lost sleep over trying to decide what to do.

And I finally decided to go back to work.

Only to get laid off last week. Yup, you read that right. I spent all that time trying to decide what to do and the decision was (sort of) made for me.

I say sort of because it wasn't a simple layoff. It's fact that my position was eliminated during a department reorganization and although I had no idea this was coming -- I shouldn't have been surprised. My department began the split into two separate departments over a year ago. And something like this isn't a simple or quick process.

With my job now ceasing to exist; my manager claims that although my work wasn't needed, I was still wanted. So, she scraped together some money and created a 9-month contract job specifically for me. The job description included many aspects of my old job and some new aspects. It looked like it could be interesting -- but wasn't really what I wanted to be doing.

And it had a fixed end date. She said that her hope was that by offering me a 9-month job, it would buy some time for a new full-time job to come up within the department or elsewhere in the company.

With this contract offer also came option B, -- a severance package.

Once again I thought long and hard about what to do. You'd think I wouldn't need to think about it since I had considered leaving anyway. But I did need to think about it and I spent a lot of time doing so. Almost too much time.

And today I signed the termination letter and officially became a stay-at-home mom.

At least I didn't call up a month ago and quit. Then I'd be a stay-at-home mom without a severance package.

No comments: