Friday, April 03, 2009

New music on my now playing list

I'll admit, I'm musically-challenged. And I don't just mean that I can't sing, because I can't, but I'm terrible at keeping up with new releases and new artists even though I like listening to new releases and new artists.

Instead, I listen to the radio, complain that nothing good is on -- or comment that I like a certain song but have no idea who sings it or what it's called so I can't look it up even if I wanted to. And if I'm not listening to the radio, I'm listening to CDs I bought years ago (with a few exceptions) or music on my iPod that I downloaded years ago. And pop music that was fun to listen to three years ago loses its appeal very quickly.

So, about 18 months ago, I asked for new music advice. And from that request, came a flood of suggestions from friends and family. I downloaded new songs, borrowed and burned CDs and uploaded my iPod, happy with the fact that I now had a whole new music repetoire to explore.

And I've listened to it for 18 months, as if it were new. See what I mean about being musically-challenged? I so easily get stuck in a music rut.

But, thankfully, I have a friend who knows me better than I know myself. And a couple of months ago, he handed me two MP3 CDs filled with new music -- music he's been trying out recently and liked. After listening to a bit here and there, I finally updated my iPod again. I only have a 4G iPod, so I'm very selective with what makes the cut.

So, here's what I'm listening to now:
  • The Decemberists (The Crane Wife). My favourite of all my new music. I love this album and love this group. And I had no idea that they've been around for awhile and this is their third or fourth album.
  • The Airborne Toxic Event. Also a pretty good album. This group reminds me a lot of the National -- a band that this same friend turned me on to in the first place.
  • The National. They were on my list 18 months ago, but then it was just the Alligator album. Now I have all their albums on my iPod
  • The Killers. I've been a fan for a few years and am liking the new album.
  • Snow Patrol. (A Hundred Million Suns) A close second to The Decemberists album. Solid from start to finish.
  • Death Cab for Cutie. (Narrow Stairs). I'll admit, I haven't completely fallen in love with this album yet, but I liked it enough for it to make the iPod cut. We'll see how I feel about it after a few more listens.
And last but not least the new U2 album. U2 is my all-time favourite group -- so much so that I actually went out to the store and bought the CD (yes, an actual, real-live CD) on the day it was released.

So, there you have it. My new music list. Got any suggestions to add? Then leave me a comment. Otherwise, I'll keep listening to this new music for the next 18 months or so until my supplier hooks me up again.

No comments: